Delivery: Text Based
Credit Hours: 3
Field of Study: Federal Tax Update
Approval: IRS, CTEC
Upon successful completion of this basic level (refresher) course, including passing the 15-Question Final
Exam with a score of 70% or higher, you will receive three (3) Continuing Education credits.
Course content will first provide some background on the history of the medical expense
deduction, the escalation of health care expenses, and who actually claims medical expenses.
Recent implementation delays to provisions of the Affordable Care Act under the Tax Cuts and
Jobs Act (TCJA) of 2017 are addressed.
Then a refresher of the various deductibility rules will be covered including: whether an item is a
deductible medical expense, who will qualify as a taxpayer's dependent for purposes of a
medical deduction, and how to figure and report various medical expenses on a tax return.
The last lesson, Health Insurance Assistance, includes selected information pertaining to the
Affordable Care Act (ACA) and the Health Care Tax Credit (HCTC).
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Identify allowable medical expenses in various categories
- Identify key provisions of the Affordable Care Act
- Identify Health Care Tax Credit eligibility
- Identify allowable medical expenses on a final return of decedent
- Identify reportable income due to excess reimbursement