Delivery: Text Based
Credit Hours: 2
Field of Study: Federal Tax Update
Approval: IRS, CTEC
The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) of 2017 changed the basic tax treatment of alimony. These major
changes will pertain to divorce and alimony decrees that will be effective after December 31, 2018. In
the meantime, there are other tax changes under the TCJA that pertain to other issues that play a big
role in negotiating final divorce and alimony agreements. This course addresses alimony pertaining to
Pre-1985 decrees, Post-1984 decrees, decrees that will become effective during 2018, and decrees that
will become effective after 12/31/2018.
This 2-CE hour online self-study course, Alimony Basics, will address selected topics pertaining to divorce
and alimony. After completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Identify how the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) changes divorce and alimony related provisions.
- Identify possible preparer due diligence requirements due to TCJA alimony changes.
- Identify which payments qualify as alimony.
- Identify when alimony must be recaptured.
- Identify when gain or loss must be recognized on alimony.
- Identify how qualified domestic relations orders (QDROs) are taxed.
- Identify how to report alimony when community property is involved.